What is that comes to your mind when you think of Social Media Marketing? Instagram, maybe? Well, you are not wrong but just like billions of people are using Instagram for their entertainment, TikTok is breaking records to become one of the most downloaded and used app with a quite a huge fan base. Since its launch in early 2018, TikTok has been covered in every major publication and is being integrated as a marketing tool while curating brand strategies for brands. Some brands are collaborating with TikTok to publish video content for its users. Did I mesmerize you?
Here are the top 15 TikTok trends that a brand manager should know of as we are entering the year 2020:
Userbase, Downloads, and Growth:
1. TikTok reports having over 800 million monthly active users worldwide, according to a leaked advertising confidential data in Oct 2019.
2. TikTok is the third-most downloaded app globally as of February 2019 with over 1 billion downloads, beating Instagram and Facebook.
3. TikTok is one of the Top Free Apps in the Entertainment Section of the Apple App Store.
4. TikTok has algorithmically curated content around users’ interests, and the videos keep feeding on screen in an upward direction with or without user’s swipe.
5. TikTok claims that a user opens the app eight times a day on an average and spends an average time around 52 minutes per day; an average session is around 5 mins, which is longer than Snapchat & Instagram.
6. 90% of TikTok users visit the app more than once per day.
7. With TikTok available in 155 countries, just over one in eight adults have joined TikTok and surprisingly 56% of the total user base is male population.
8. While TikTok’s user base is dominated by Gen-Z in the United States, many millennial have adopted it around the world.
9. Roughly 50% of TikTok’s global audience is under the age of 34 with 26% between 18 and 24.
Viral Trends and Influencers on TikTok
10. TikTok like other social media platforms is open to brands, influencers, meme creators and more for collaboration and promotion.
11. #InMyDenim is the earliest brand hashtag challenge by Guess. It received over 38.8 million views.
12. A lot of artists and content creators dedicate their success TikTok. Rapper Lil Nas X posted his song “Old Town Road” to TikTok. The song was propelled to #1 on the Billboard Top 100 in 2019 after the artist uploaded it to TikTok.
Business, Revenue, and Competition
13. TikTok App has a 4.7-star rating in the Apple App Store with over 2.1 million reviews.
14. TikTok now offers five advertising tiers aimed at big brands. One of which, a branded hashtag challenge, reportedly costs $150,000 per day.
15. In 2018, TikTok made $3.5 million on in-app purchases from users.
TikTok is yet a new social media platform that is still struggling to find its way into a brand marketer’s strategy/plan. The user base is huge with the maximum population using the platform lies in China and USA. In India, TikTok’s users and the market are expanding and the leadership will tend to follow in the coming year.
The Marcom Avenue is an integrated marketing solutions agency that provides social media marketing, SEO, content marketing, and other solutions. If you are looking for an agency that can guide you in creating a social media brand strategy and execute it, we’d be happy to help and answer any question that may come.